Saturday, December 25, 2010

Lucky Me!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

It's been a whirlwind three days of festivities and gifts and good cheer shared with family and friends.  On Thursday evening we hosted our annual open house.  It was a small affair with friends dropping by for drinks and appetizers.  The blue cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon and my white chocolate candy cane cheesecake were the biggest hits of the evening.  Lola even got in on the action with people bringing her gifts and treats.  We were all spoiled and had a wonderful, low key evening with everyone.

Christmas Eve day found me at the pool for a swim workout.  I was feeling a bit sluggish still from donating blood two days before (I'm a weakling I guess) and because I went to the 11:30 a.m. session I was a little off for when I should have and what I should have eaten before.  It was a tough workout and my stomach was growling half way through.  I've realized that I need to pick some books up on nutrition for athletes (I'm an athlete - haha) and learn about what I should be eating and when and how much.  Now that I'm doing focused training with a coach for a half-iron distance I don't think I can just fake it anymore!  Funny thing happened getting out of the pool though.  I grabbed my towel off the chair and was waving good-bye to the two lifeguards when one of them came over and asked me if I used to swim for the Windsor Aquatic Club (our city's competetive swim team).  He thought he recognized from there.  I almost fell over because really, me?  A WAC swimmer?  I just learned to swim last year! I felt pretty good about it though as obviously my storke and overall swimming must be improving!

In the evening we gathered at my sister's house for our family Christmas.  There was plenty of food and drink and kids all wound up from too much excitement.  To add to the chaos was their 5 month old Goldendoodle puppy that is SO cute and SO energetic.  The kids loved all the gifts and Paul and I scored some gift certificates and new pyjamas.  My mom and dad got us gift cards to Lowe's so that we can get a closet organizer for the cycling room (or nursery as it's become known) that is our latest redecorating project.

This morning Paul and I opened gifts with Lola.  We spoiled each other as usual and I got some awesome gifts!  Some of my favourites include a Road ID, DeSoto triathlon shorts, a cycling jersey, Le Sportsac bag, Betsey Johnson watch, PUMA jacket and socks, a triathlon pendant necklace, and new heartrate monitor for my Garmin.  There's so much more that I can't even catalogue right now.  Paul seemed really happy with all of his gifts, especially the Cervelo Test Team jersey, bib shorts, and winter jacket that I got him.  This year was a real swim, bike, run themed Christmas!

The rest of the day includes the annual viewing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and a whole lot of lounging around!  I'm making a prime rib roast for dinner and we'll probably take Lola to the park at some point to play with her new glow in the dark ball.  Tomorrow I have a one hour moderate run on the schedule and then we're going Stateside for some Boxing Day sales! 

I hope everyone has a very happy holiday and that the coming year brings health, happiness and PBs for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment