Monday, December 6, 2010

Week 1 Training In Review

I returned home from Cozumel on December 1st and was greeted with Christmas in full force.  Trees, lights, and Christmas music on the radio.  I love Christmas and other than lamenting how behind I am in shopping for everyone other than Paul I'm happy to see all of the Christmas fare.  As much as I love Christmas though I was more excited to find my new training plan, from my new coach, in my email's inbox.  My plan was to start on the 2nd with swim and strength training workouts.

We landed in Toronto at 7:30 p.m. and by the time we got our bags, cleared Customs, and caught the shuttle to the hotel where the cars were parked it was after 9 when we started the 3 hour drive home.  With only one quick stop for food we were home by 12:30 a.m.  Sydney had let me know that she was going to the Masters swim at the college in the morning but there was no way I was going to make a 5:30 a.m. swim.  I thought maybe I'd swim at the municipal pool and do the strength session after work.  I woke up in the morning to a seriously sore throat and stuffy nose though.  Uh oh.  I haven't been sick all year!  I thought I'd work through it but by 5:00 I felt really horrible.  Sydney and I did the strength training session but I skipped the swim.  Nice start. 

Friday's workout was a one hour spin on the trainer with one legged drills.  Wow.  That ended up being way harder than I expected and weirdly harder on the right than on the left.  You would think I was a lefty.  I worked up a good sweat and relished the tired feeling in my legs when I was done.  Paul and I went out for a late dinner with Sydney and Andy to celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary.  I was feeling pretty wiped out and my cold had hit with full force.  I couldn't breathe and unfortunately couldn't taste much of the delicious looking steak in front of me.

Saturday called for a 35 minute run with some drills done at the end.  Sunday's workout was a 1 hour session on the trainer.  I emailed Mary to let her know that I was pretty sick.  She confirmed that I should rest and get better and that although I was disappointed to be off to such a crappy start it was better that it happened now and not closer to race season.  Her point was well taken and I gave myself a break.  I spent the majority of the weekend catching up on stuff on my DVR and working my way through a box of tissues.  Paul was a trooper and went to the drugstore for me and made dinner.

The Ugly Truth
Planned workout time for the week ending December 5th = 4:15.  Actual training time = 1:45.  Definately not how the rest of this season is going to go.  Promise.

1 comment:

  1. Bummer to start off your training while sick, but way better than getting sick later! Rest up and feel better soon!